Vermont Cemetery was founded in 1835, at the first occasion of a death in Sylvan Township. The small cemetery, at the northeast corner of the intersection of M-52 with Jerusalem Road, is the resting place of most of Sylvan's early settlers.

The name of the cemetery is due to the fact that this portion of the Township was initially settled by a group of families from Vermont, and known as "The Vermont Settlement".

A bronze marker on the spot reads:

In memory of the Pioneers of this region who came here from Vermont in 1832. These early settlers were: Wm. Arnold Davis, Warren A. Davis, Orlo H. Fenn, David Fenn, Truman Lawrence, Ira Spaulding, Warren Spaulding, Dennis Warner, Mahlon Wines, and their families. This land was donated 1835 by Aaron Lawrence. This marker placed 1925.


Sources

This data come from the Sarah Caswell Angell Chapter (Ann Arbor) Daughters of the American Revolution, collected by Miss J. Pattison and copied by Mrs. W. F. Jerome, housed at the Bentley Library, University of Michigan; and from individual researchers, especially Barbara (Feldkamp) Burns, who walked the cemetery in 2002; with some names checked against the Michigan GENDIS system; compiled by Ann Tracy Marr.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License. See Copyrights.