History

from http://ncpoa.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-we-got-here.html

The North Central Property Owners Association was founded in 1958 by Rev. C. W. Patterson of 2nd Baptist Church (then located at Fifth Avenue at Beakes Street) and Walter Wickliffe, a lifelong neighborhood resident and city forester. They led the fight against an urban renewal plan that would have demolished most of the homes and businesses in the North Central neighborhood, dispossessing hundreds of residents. The plan was defeated, and ever since NCPOA has worked with residents, businesses, and city leaders to revitalize the area.

Sources

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License. See Copyrights.