The current mayor (2000-) of Ann Arbor. His last name is pronounced "HEEF-t-ya."
100 N. Fifth Ave. 48104 994-2766 JHieftje@ci.ann-arbor.mi.us
- Appointed to the Michigan Climate Action Council by Governor Granholm, (2007 present)
- Board of Directors Huron River Watershed Council, (1998-present, currently an alternate member of the board.)
- Downtown Development Authority, (2002 – present)
- Chair of the Board of Directors Recycle Ann Arbor (1989 – 1990)
- Chair: Urban Core Mayors of Michigan. (2004-05)
- Member: The Wolfpack of the National Wildlife Federation
- Board of Directors, Lake Superior Conservancy and Watershed Council, Sault St. Marie, Ontario, 2004 – Present.
In the news
Ann Arbor mayor vying for state appointment, Ann Arbor News Aug 1 2007. "Hieftje said he is in the running to be the next the chairman of the three-member Michigan Public Service Commission, which regulates the state's investor-owned natural gas, electric and telecommunications utilities, rural electrical cooperatives, and interstate motor carriers."
- did not receive the appointment
- All articles on AnnArbor.com about John Hieftje
- John Hieftje's candidate profile on AnnArbor.com
- Wikipedia: John Hieftje
- ArborWeb: City Council and Mayor
- Campaign website: hieftje.org
- City biography
- johnhieftje on Flickr