Cool projects with materials you can get locally.
- City Council members could hold little meetings at their neighborhood ice cream place. You know which one I'm talking about.
- Make the Park Project dream come true by educating yourself and friends via Ann Arbor Parks and wheat-paste! Vigilante education for the masses!
- Turn a traffic island into a meeting place (add a bench? a chalkboard?) (via: bkerr del.icio.us)
- Adopt a park, traffic island, or median with some neighbors or friends! (Ann Arbor: , Ypsilanti:)
- Make a green lamp: get ivy from your neighbor (or a2freecycle), wire from Stadium Hardware or Downtown Home and Garden.
- Add a node to Wireless Ypsi and continue showing up Wireless Washtenaw and similarly stalled top-down projects.
- Make a rain barrel. Cost, $15-$80
- Print stickers with the bus schedule. Cost, $15-$30
- Spend some time adding content to ArborWiki.
- Do a guerrilla knitting project for wayfinding. Cost, [cheap yarn]
- Figure out how home power meters broadcast their data, and make a script that reports on your usage over time. AMR -- cost: [time to research]
A traffic island:
- Animal control
- City Council / voting data
- Meeting attendance
- Track City Council decisions
- Then start categorizing / identifying threads across time